frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flashing firmware using your raspberry pi

cyris69cyris69 Posts: 33
edited February 4 in Firmware Support
If you're tired of having to either move you printer, take off your board, etc to flash your printer then this will be very useful. Just to note you will HAVE to have a bootloader already flashed to use this. Octoprint isn't required but if you're going to be doing this I assume you have it anyways.

However this did overwrite my EEPROM settings so maybe write those down or take a screenshot. That and I'm not responsible if this breaks your printer or steals your wallet.

Firstly, go ahead and log into octoprint. From here you want to look in the connection area and take note of what is in the red box.
fpxqr7ya6f9t.png

While we are already looking in this area click disconnect.

Now I am using a windows machine and SSH'ing into my pi using PuTTY

Once in putty you will want to enter your pi's IP address.
vhionahu29ck.png

Now click open and login using your pi's username and password. If you didn't modify those then by default it's
  • username: pi
  • password: raspberry

You should see this
jqio1zfxvrfi.png

Now we will want to start off by installing AVRDUDE
Paste in these commands and hit enter
  • sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get install avrdude

From there you will want to use WinSCP on your computer to transfer your hex file to the root /home/pi folder

So open up WinSCP and enter your pi's IP address and hit login
mhctu16rynvv.png

From there enter the same username and password you used in puTTY.
Now you will want to drag and drop your Marlin.ino.sanguino.hex file into the directory.
77axkwm6xtl0.png

So now back to your SSH terminal making sure you are in the same folder as the just uploaded hex file. Type LS to make sure. If in octoprint your machine doesn't show "/dev/ttyUSB0" then just replace it with what yours shows.

Then you want to paste in this and hit enter:

For NON-S printers aka CR-10, CR-10 S4 400, CR-10 S5 500
avrdude -p m1284p -c arduino -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200 -D -U flash:w:Marlin.ino.sanguino.hex:a

For ONLY S version printers aka CR-10S, CR-10S 400, CR-10S 500
avrdude -p m2560 -c arduino -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200 -D -U flash:w:Marlin.ino.sanguino.hex:a

Wait for it to finish, then click connect in octoprint and all will be done.
7g1lr95q7izb.png